WORKPLACE SAFETY TIPS EVERY EMPLOYEE SHOULD KNOW
Today, there are companies that propose an application that can aid safety to the professionals, which can predict and prevent possible job hazards. A smart personal protective equipment (PPE) is made from a safety gear with a platform that can share real-time data, insights, and safety risk concerns from and with workers using the safety gear.
Other than that, manufacturers have released a wide variety of new products. Throughout the innovation of these companies, there are personal protective equipment (PPE) that were featured. Since it has been one of the highlighted and stand out product that can provide hand protection.
For the safety gloves, they introduced a new chemical-resistant gloves, it is a disposable gloves that allows workers that are exposed to environments with hazardous chemicals to experience a high-quality level of hand protection. The soft, durable nitrile gloves provide chemical splash resistance.
This is available at Scotty’s Gloves, it has a bare-hand like dexterity, superior cut protection, and provides you an ultimate comfort. Experience the newest gloves in chemical hand protection, visit Scotty's Gloves.
Moreover, they have introduced an oil moisture resistant gloves. It offers a wide range of hand protection since it is a heavy duty protective glove. It is cut resistant, light out and moisture resistant, non-tacky slip resistant, and shock absorbing impact protection.
This is available at Scotty’s Gloves, it has a maximized dexterity and flex points, and it provides a wide range of protective features. Experience the newest gloves that has an excellent quality and tremendous value, visit Scotty's Gloves.
Lastly, they have made a heavy-duty industrial glove that has a full, back of hand cover to protect the hands against injuries. This glove is suitable for construction, oil and gas, mining or lumber industries.
This is available at Scotty’s Gloves, it can guard you against any particular hazards to which you might be exposed. Experience the best safety work gloves that has an excellent quality and tremendous value, visit Scotty's Gloves.
Safety work gloves is a key component for occupational health safety. Occupational health promotes and maintains the highest degree of the physical, mental, and social well-being of workers in all occupations. It protects the workers in their employment from risks resulting from factors that are adverse to health.
Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) is a multidisciplinary field that concerns the safety, health, and welfare of the people at work. The occupational health and safety programs include fostering a safe and healthy work environment. It aims to protect the co-workers, family members, employers, customers, and other people who might be affected by the workplace environment.
There are legal duties and obligations that entails the employers to take full reasonable care of the safety of their employees. Occupational health promotes and maintains the highest degree of the physical, mental, and social well-being of workers in all occupations. It protects the workers in their employment from risks resulting from factors that are adverse to health.
Physical hazards affect many people in the workplace. In the hierarchy of hazard controls, elimination is the topmost priority, followed by substitution, engineering controls, administrative controls, the last resort of the hierarchy of hazard controls is the personal protective equipment (PPE).
Personal protective equipment can help protect against many of this hazard. These frequently asked questions (FAQs) will provide a background information on the purpose of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and the requirements of the program of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
You might wonder, what a personal protective equipment is—Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) refers to the protective clothing, helmets, goggles, and other garments or equipment designed to protect the body of the person from injury or infection. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is worn for job-related occupational health and safety purposes.
There is a purpose why Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) it is to reduce exposures of employees to hazards when the engineering controls that protect the workers from hazardous situations and administrative controls that lessens the threat of a hazard to an individual are not feasible or effective to reduce the said risks to an acceptable level.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that is used in a workplace should be selected to minimize the risk to work health and safety; it should be suitable for the nature of the work and any hazard that is associated with the work; and it should be a suitable size and fit and reasonably comfortable for the person who wears it.
When Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is properly selected and used, it can be effective in the elimination or minimization of individual exposures to hazardous materials and physical hazards being encountered in a different work environment.
Hazardous materials are not limited to chemical and biological materials or agents that pose a health or physical hazard and unsealed radioactive materials. Physical hazards are not limited to substances, equipment, or activities that can expose the person to a potential threat to their physical safety. Examples of a physical hazard include: extreme pressures, extreme temperatures, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, noise, and flying hazards of machining equipment.
Managers and supervisors should be aware of the reasons for providing a personal protective equipment (PPE); they should be knowledgeable of the proper usage, and the level of protection of the personal protective equipment (PPE) provides.
There is not only one personal protective equipment, there are various types of it that considers to which area of the body it protects. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is categorized by the area of which the body is protected; by the types of hazard the person is exposed; and by the type of garment or accessory.
- Respirators serve to protect the user from inhaling poison or contaminants in the air, thus the respirator protects the respiratory tract of the wearer. There are two main types of a respirator: the first type of respirator has a function that filters out chemicals and gases, or airborne particles from the air breathed by the user. The filtration of the respirator might be passive or active. An example of this type of respirator is gas masks and particulate respirators. The second type of respirator can protect the wearer through providing clean, respirable air from another source.
- Respirators are being used in environments that do not have enough ventilation and the engineering control system is not feasible.
- Eye injuries can happen through a variety of situations. Most of the injuries that occur in the workplace environment when solid particles get into the eye. Chemical burns, biological agents, and thermal agents can contribute to an occupational eye injury. Safety glasses provide protection from external debris and should provide side protection through a wrap-around design or side shields. What are these equipment that can provide an adequate and needed protection for the eyes?
- Goggles, this equipment provides a better protection more than a safety glasses, it is effective in the prevention of eye injury from chemical splashes, impact, dusty environments and welding.
- Face shields, this equipment provides an additional protection and worn over the standard eyewear; face shields can provide protection from the impact, chemical, and blood borne hazards.
- Full-face piece respirators, this equipment is considered to be the best form of eye protection when respiratory protection is needed as well.
- Occupational skin diseases are the second most concern for occupational health and safety. Chemical agents, physical agents, biological agents and mechanical trauma are the contributors of occupational skin hazards. Any form of personal protective equipment (PPE) that can act as a barrier between the skin and the agent can be considered as skin protection. Gloves are an essential item for skin protection.
Gloves protect and provides comfort to the hands against cold or heat, damage by friction, abrasion or chemicals, and diseases.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) did not just came out of the blue to protect our fellow professionals. It is based and supported on legal duties and obligations. Now, what are the legal duties and obligations of wearing a personal protective equipment (PPE)?
Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992 is a set of regulations that were imposed under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The regulations place a duty on every employer to ensure that a suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) is being provided to the employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is defined in the regulations as ‘all equipment which is intended to be worn or held by a person at work which protects them against one or more risks to their health and safety'. Thus, the legal duties and obligations define the general duties of the employer, employee, contractors, suppliers of goods and substances for use at work, and the people in general.
The legal duties and obligations as set out the objectives that it should secure the health, safety, and welfare of the persons at work; it should protect the persons at work against risks to health or safety that arises out of or in connection with the activities at work; and it should be the duty of every employer to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all of his or her employees.
The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 duly states that the employers are not allowed to charge for any personal protective equipment (PPE) that is used for work. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) should be provided by a PCBU. PCBU are persons conducting a business or undertaking, they must consult with their workers in selecting the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); they must ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, that the personal protective equipment (PPE) is used or worn by the worker; and they must provide the worker with information, training, and instructions in the proper use and wearing of the personal protective equipment (PPE) and how it is stored and duly maintained.
The legal requirements for businesses in relation to personal protective equipment (PPE) are set out in the regulations 36, 44, and 45 of the model Work Health and Safety Regulations. Workers have legal duties and obligations in relation to personal protective equipment under the regulation 46 of the model Work Health and Safety Regulations. Moreover, those who are not workers still have an obligation under the regulation 47 of the model Work Health and Safety Regulations.
The personal protective equipment must be worn in accordance with any information, training, or reasonable instruction provided. For further information, you can read through the guidelines at Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and International Labour Organization (ILO).
We have already discussed much about personal protective equipment (PPE)—from its definition, to its types, and to the legal duties and obligation of a personal protective equipment (PPE)—we have not asked, when should personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used?
There is a fundamental principle that personal protective equipment (PPE) should only be used as a last resort. This is because of the hierarchy of hazard controls, elimination is the topmost priority, followed by substitution, engineering controls, administrative controls, and the last resort of the hierarchy of hazard controls is the personal protective equipment (PPE).
The safety and health of the employees must be first safeguarded by the elimination measures of the workplace with the source of the risks. It is eliminated through technical or organizational means or by providing protection on a collective basis. If these measures or methods are not sufficient, only then personal protective equipment (PPE) is used to protect the employers from unavoidable hazards.
Under the hierarchy, personal protective equipment is designated as the level 3 control measures. Level 3 control measures do not control the hazard at the source, it relies on the human behavior and supervision on their own to be at least effective in minimizing risks.
There are reasons why personal protective equipment (PPE) is used as a last resort because, personal protective equipment (PPE) only protects the person who wears it; personal protective equipment (PPE) are ineffective if not working or fitted properly; there are theoretical levels of protection that are seldom reached in practice; and there are uses of personal protective equipment (PPE) that restricts the wearer to some degree.
Gloves is an item of clothing that covers the whole hand, it has a separate sheath or opening for the fingers and thumb. However, there are fingerless gloves, these gloves has an opening and no covering sheath for the fingers.
This garment protects and brings comfort to the hands against cold or heat, damage through friction, abrasion or chemicals, and contamination of disease. This item of clothing is made with cloth, knitted or felted wool, leather, latex, rubber, neoprene, silk, and metal.
Work gloves or safety gloves are personal protective equipment that is worn by workers when they are doing projects that involves hand protection from the wrist to the fingers. These kind of glove is used to protect the hands and fingers from cuts, blisters, splinters, skin punctures or heat and chemical burns.
In line with the different situation and occupational hazards encountered by different professionals, there are a wide variation of safety gloves. The nature of the work determines the kind of safety gloves required.
Most of the common injuries that occurs in the workplace are traumatic injury, contact or permeation injury, repetitive motion injury, and thermal injury.
- - Traumatic injury happens when the hands and fingers of the worker is caught, pinched or crushed by a machine and acquires cuts, skin punctures, abrasions, bone fracture and sprains.
- - Contact or permeation injury happens when the hand of the worker gets in contact with corrosive liquids, solvents, acids, detergents, flammable liquid or other chemicals that has permeated through the worker’s skin.
- - Repetitive motion injury happens when the task is repeated, and requires a rapid hand movements for a longer period of time. With this, musculoskeletal disorders are common.
- - Thermal injury happens when the worker deals with high temperatures, it is commonly manifested in the form of burns, dermatitis, and blisters.
For the workers to avoid these occupational injuries and health risk, they should do the following:
- - Evaluate and assess the occupational risk.
- - Follow the user manual and instructions of the machines and equipment used.
- - Avoid using finger rings and ornaments.
- - Change the grip, hand positions and motions.
- - Have an adequate rest for the hands.
- - Lockout and switch off the machines and equipment that are not used.
- - Wash hands thoroughly when in contact with corrosive chemicals.
- - Lastly, use the appropriate safety gloves and other personal protective equipment.
Safety gloves exist to fulfill the implementation of the Personal Protective Equipment requirements. There are three categories the personal protective equipment is placed into:
- - Minimal risk;
- - Complex design; and
- - Intermediate
Most safety gloves are complex design, it is used in situations that can cause a serious injury, or even death.
As the workplace is prone to occupational hazards and health risks for the hands of the worker, there is no single glove that can provide the appropriate protection of the occupational hazards. Thus, it is important to evaluate and assess the occupational risk of each task, to determine the glove that can provide the specialized protection.
Workplace safety cannot stand alone with practicing the guidelines and policies, it also includes on how efficient the employees and employers are, in which each of them should adhere to and communicate regarding the standards in providing safety.
A successful workplace safety is built with the foundation that one should be encouraged by the employees to recognize unsafe behaviors and instances to improve the workplace safety while making a well-informed decisions.
Here are safety tips that you should know to aid you and your employees to create a safety environment through a shared responsibility.
- - Be cautious with your surrounding environment.
It is a must to know the particular hazards that can happen in your workplace or job. When you have known the risks, you will be able to prevent and stay away from the potential hazardous areas and potential hazardous situations.
- - Protect your back by maintaining correct and proper posture.
To avoid back problems, your shoulders must be kept in line with your hips. When you are picking things up, you should use the correct stance. Do not stoop and twist.
- - Take regular breaks.
When you are tired, work-related injuries and illnesses occur because of the stress you are experiencing. Have regular breaks to keep you fresh on your job.
- - Use the machine and tools properly.
Never take shortcuts when you are using machines and tools, take the proper precautions. When you are in a rush and you take shortcuts, this can lead you to cause a workplace injury. If you obediently use the right tools in the right way, then there is a decreased chance of a workplace injury.
- - Easily accessible emergency exits.
Whenever there is an emergency, the emergency exits should be easily accessed. Quickly stop the equipment from functioning when emergency cases arise.
- - When there are suspicious and unsafe situations, report it.
When there are suspicious and unsafe conditions that can be a threat to the safety hazards and risks of your workplace, immediately report it to your supervisor. Supervisors are legally obligated to ensure that their employees have a safe working environment.
- - Use mechanical aids when needed.
Use a wheelbarrow, conveyor belt, crank or forklift in carrying or lifting heavy loaded materials. There are a number of injuries that are involved with heavy lifting.
- - You should be sober.
When working, you should not be intoxicated. Fatal workplace injuries occurs due to the intake of drugs and alcohol. It will lead to more number of risks for workplace injuries and fatalities because of their judgment, coordination, motor control, and alertness is compromised.
- - Decrease the workplace stress.
Too much stress can lead to depression. When you have concerns on your job or workplace, tell someone, or your supervisor, and it might help.
- - Wear the proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
When you are not wearing the proper personal protective equipment (PPE), you might get injured.
According to the National and Safety Council, gloves have an appropriate application. As one of the leading seller of gloves, Scotty’s Gloves has the goal to match the worker’s safest, most comfortable personal protective equipment in the market. Scotty’s Glove provides safety gloves that provides more than protection, nonetheless, it has the elements that can enhance the grip, dexterity, and tactile sensitivity that can aid the workers to finish the their task without being harmed.
To ensure that you have chosen the most appropriate gloves for the work and the occupational environment, it is important to:
- - Identify the hazards and evaluate the need for protection. The kind of hazards can affect the decision to use other protective clothing in addition to gloves.
- - Identify the required manual dexterity. The thicker the gloves, the greater resistance it provides against the chemical or mechanical damage. However, the thickness of the gloves can impair the grip and dexterity that can compromise the safety of the worker.
- - Choose a suitable material that can provide an adequate protection required. Select a glove that can provide the highest level of protection from the hazards that are associated with the chemicals being used.
- - Choose a suitable style and fit of the gloves. The worker should be comfortable to wear for the worker.
- - Determine and ensure that the selection of gloves does not have an adverse effect. Latex gloves can cause adverse reactions to some users.
- - Consider the workplace condition, such as exposure to extreme temperatures or involves performing repetitive movements. Dermatitis may be acquired if sweat accumulates inside the gloves. If repetitive movements is required, a flexible and elastic gloves is needed.
- - Consider the duration and nature of contact.
- - Consider the cuff length of the glove. There are hazards that requires a longer cuff length to protect the forearm and prevent the liquid from seeping into the gloves.
- - Consider the maintenance required for the gloves, this include cleaning.
- - Ensure that the gloves meet the appropriate standards.
- - Consider the factors for biological hazards. Standard latex gloves provide protection for biological hazards, however, it may cause sensitization or an allergic reactions. Therefore, synthetic rubber, nitrile, vinyl, or neoprene are preferred as they eliminate the risk of an allergic reaction and can provide acceptable barrier protection against viruses, other micro-organisms and chemicals. Nitrile gloves are not suitable for a biological material being prepared in phenol or chloroform, nitrile is not resistant to both of these chemicals.
- - Consider the factors for chemical hazards. Different chemicals have different recommendation of glove material, thus the best choice is the glove that has the highest resistance to the chemical that has the fastest breakthrough time. Check the chemical resistance chart provided by the glove manufacturers to determine which glove material can provide the best resistance for the chemical in use.
- - Consider the factors of mechanical and physical hazards. Choose a glove that does not become a hazard themselves.
Indeed, you need to consider different things, make sure that these are reliable and comfortable. These suggestions can be practical, but you can never go wrong if you will try the Scotty's Gloves. There aren't any issues with the performance of the Scotty's Gloves. We have been getting a lot of questions about the Scotty's Gloves.
It is not necessary to buy expensive gloves, when you make a decision on what gloves to buy, it is important to take note of the glove’s function, protection, and more so, consider your personal style. If the mentioned components are there, it will be great no matter how much it costs.
Take note of the typical palm measurements, sizes may vary from the specific glove type, you may find that a smaller or larger size may perfectly fit you. To ensure that you have selected the proper glove size for your hand, please review the online size chart.
To look for the right work gloves or casual gloves on Scotty’s Gloves, you can begin on the homepage. Scan for the category that you want, select and click it. You will then see thousands of quality gloves for sale.
You do not have to worry, you can select the size of the glove, its brand, style, color and price range of the glove.
Letter sizes will range from S (small) to L (large). To find your glove size quickly, refer to the online size chart provided by Scotty’s Gloves.
Brand ranges from Majestic, Kinco, Red Steer, Edge and so much more! Also, you have to check out their new products that are made in America, which are offered by Worldwide Protective, Guardian and Sullivan.
Available styles of gloves ranges from ant vibration gloves, coated gloves, cotton/sting/knit/jersey/chore gloves, disposable gloves, driver’s gloves, high visibility gloves, kids gloves, ladies gloves, leather palms, mechanics gloves, military/law enforcement gloves, mitts or mittens, rag wool gloves, ski gloves, and welder’s gloves.
Having a hard time? You don't have to worry! There is a targeted keyword search that is available to help you with the right item.
Scotty’s Gloves offer wholesale to their products. Wholesale is the selling of goods in large quantities at a lower price. The discounted prices offered by Scotty's Gloves are 3% off for those who buy 5 or more pairs of gloves, 6% off for those who buy 10 or more pair of gloves, and 10% off for those who buy 20 or more pair of gloves.
With the information that has been laid out in this buyer’s guide, any shopper can find the right pair of mittens or gloves that can perfectly fit for them, which can be appropriate for them to use in their workplace or during the winter season. Rest assured that these gloves will last for years giving warmth and comfort.
Moreover, Scotty’s Gloves helps the interested buyers on what gloves they should buy. They give the users a way to compare the different specifications and performance of different gloves in their specific areas. This also allows the users to make an informed decision on which glove to use for a specific task, these areas are for cut protection, abrasion resistance, impact protection, gardening, and winter season.
Do not forget to purchase at Scotty’s Gloves! They have the best prices for the top brands in safety gloves. They also offer free shipping on orders that exceed over $150! What are you waiting for? Have your must-have for all seasons Majestic gloves at Scotty’s Gloves.
For more information and inquiries about Scotty’s gloves or any other brand, do not hesitate to reach us through the email provided.