Gloves or Mitts- Which one is the best for you?
What is the difference between Gloves and Mittens?
There are a lot of things to talk about when we compare gloves and mitts. Let us first discuss what gloves and mitts are.
The major difference of gloves and mitts:
- - Gloves are defined to be a garment which is used to cover the entire hand. Gloves have separate openings or also called as sheaths for every finger our hands.
- - Mittens are defined to be a garment for hand covering enclosing the entire hand. However, unlike gloves, a mitten has two sections of opening or sheaths; one for the thumb, and one for the remaining four fingers.
Few of the benefits of wearing gloves or mittens:
- - Hand protection from chemicals and biohazards;
- - Hand protection from cuts, punctures, and abrasion hazards;
- - Hand protection from heat and arc hazards;
- - Hand protection from severe weather and extreme temperatures;
- - Hand protection from persistent vibrations;
- - Prevents needle injuries;
- - Prevents loss of fingers and hands;
- - Hand protection against temperature changes;
- - Prevents absorption of hazardous substances;
- - Prevents infection from biological substances;
- - Hand protection from sprains and fractures;
- - Gives comfort while working;
- - Enhances skills in performing tasks; and
- - Enables completion of tasks in a shorter span of time
Which is Better, Gloves or Mitts?
Choosing the correct hand protection would be beneficial to you. Both gloves and mittens aim to protect your hands, however, choosing the right one will let you do more. Having the right hand wear will help you enjoy your activities and adventures with ease and will save you from having uncomfortable activity or outing and any sort of hand injuries.
There would be times that gloves are better than wearing mitts and vice versa.
If you would be doing activities in the cold, harsh winter. It would be best to wear hand protection such as safety gloves, winter gloves, and mittens. It would preferably be thick and layered.
Every time you ask yourself about which one is better, you have to consider the following:
- - First things first, you should know what activity you would be doing and also the climate during the said activity. You should know what characteristic of gloves or mittens you need. Like for example, ask yourself if you need it to have the good dexterity or do you need to focus more on insulation. Knowing the climate is also vital to the choice you will make. Like for example; winter activities, it would be best to pick thick gloves or mittens.
- - You should know why gloves or mittens are better for the planned activity. Like for example, in working place, it would be best for you to pick gloves than mittens because it gives you more dexterity etc.
- - Dexterity is defined to be the skill and ease in performing tasks, especially with the hands. You should always check the dexterity when choosing between gloves and mittens.
- - Considering how much dexterity needed for certain tasks is important. It is not recommended for glove or mitt consolidation when each of the tasks needs a different level of dexterity but if you want to buy a multi-use gloves or mitts, look for a highly-dexterous one so that it can also be easier to use in areas that do not need that much level of dexterity.
- - It will always be important for you to completely control your hands to increase convenience.
- - If we are talking about dexterity, generally speaking, gloves win. The advantage of gloves is having separate sheaths for each finger allows you to control freely than the two sections of mittens.
- - Even though gloves is the best when it comes to dexterity, there exist activities in which you do not need much dexterity to perform well. An example is holding your ski poles.
- - Different materials mean that the safety gloves are made for different purposes. You would need a glove or mittens made of leather for high abrasion resistance and a string-knit safety glove for cut resistance. You need to consider the palm coating when selecting a multi-use safety glove in order to improve the grip and the puncture resistance. Each palm coating has its own strengths and weaknesses and it can also make them compatible for a touchscreen.
- - Gloves and mittens are two examples of handwear for hand protection. This includes protection from harsh weathers like winter. In this type of environment, the gloves and mittens’ primary goal is of course, keeping your arms warm.
- - If we are talking about insulation, generally speaking, mittens take the win. Even though gloves insulate each digit individually, mittens, unlike gloves, have two sections; one for the thumb and one for the rest of the fingers. This model allows your fingers to be in constant contact with each other, creating a warmer temperature.
- - There exist several forms of insulation. Two of the basic types are down and synthetic insulation.
- Down is a type of insulation which is noted for being lightweight, durable, breathable, and easy to compress. The good side about down type is that its loft is more durable and longer than synthetic type. However, this type of insulation is more expensive. Also, the downside of down type is that when it gets wet, it loses its function to insulate properly. This is why synthetic type is usually chosen over down type. To protect it from being wet, waterproof shells are used as covers.
b.) Synthetic Insulation
- Synthetic insulation is a form of insulation typical for activities which involves your gloves or mittens getting wet. It has the ability to dries faster and is cheaper as well. However, synthetic insulation is heavier because of the thicker layers of garments used. Also, synthetic insulation, when compressed, reduces its function to insulate properly.
- - Some gloves are designed to be waterproof but have a breathable barrier. This is to prevent water from going inside through your gloves but letting your sweat out through the barrier.
- - However, even though it says waterproof, your gloves might inevitably get wet. It would be best to take care not to let anything from the outside to get in which will make it wet. Also, try not to sweat too much from the inside, the more your hands get moisturized, the higher risk of you getting cold. Dry hands tend to be warmer with this.
- - Yes, you might have a good waterproof gloves or mittens that protect you from the water or the temperature outside, but what about from the inside sweat? You do not want that the problem would be from the inside, would you? Breathability allows you to get that amount of air good enough for your hand to feel nice and not too hot. If waterproof protects you from the outside, then breathability will help you feel fresh from the inside.
- - The technology today allows your gloves and mittens to be touch-screen compatible. These include the fingers and palms. This would let u be able to use your smartphones, tablets, and other touch-screen operated devices without using your bare hands. This is best used in winter where it is so cold for your bare hands to be used.
- - Gloves with full finger and palm compatibility win this. Mittens are not good in dexterity and you might have a hard time clicking with those two-sectioned mittens.
- Touch-screen compatibility is usually featured on gloves which are light to medium weight.
Correct-fitting and size
- - Always consider to pick the right size and fit.
- - Always be comfortable with anything you wear.
- - Safety gloves and mittens are worn for hand protection. Wearing the wrong size and the wrong fit might do you otherwise.
- - Wearing the wrong size and fit might give you inconvenience and might as well restrict your movement. This might lead to unwanted injuries and might even do worse.
- - Size includes the covering capability. Does your gloves or mittens cover just your hands? How about your wrists? There might be activities that suggest covering your wrists like in winter, during snow sports, it would be essential to cover them as well.
Gloves and Mitts with Heating Systems
- - With our current technology, there exist battery-powered heating systems. This is frequently used especially during the winter season. This allows you to have that warmth you need during the cold season. However, since it is more advanced, it cost more and even heavier as well.
All of these should be taken into account. A good combination with all these will help you do your activities with ease, safety, and fun as well. To know which one is better, gloves or mittens, is really up to you but pretty sure that the said list above will help you decide.
Other features about Gloves and Mitts:
There exist crossover of gloves and mittens:
- - Glittens are basically fingerless gloves but with an attached flap that turns the gloves into mittens.
- - Lobster is a blend of gloves and mittens. This is by having three sections; one for your thumb, one for your pointer finger, and lastly, a section for the remaining three fingers.